Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Sign of Changing Times

So I am sure that some of you are familiar with a little instructional video called, "The Happiest Baby on the Block" by Harvey Karp, M.D. If not...it is a quick lesson on how to better calm your baby. In this video Dr. Karp suggests that all babies have a calming reflex, similar to any other reflex, that can be initiated by using one, some, or all of his 5 S's.

After going over the 5 S's it got me thinking about how much my life has changed. This can be seen by comparing Dr. Karp's 5 to my 5.

Dr. Karp's 5 S's
1)Swaddle
2)Side/Stomach
3)Shush
4)Swinging
5)Suck

My Old 5 S's
1)Surf
2)Swig (as in beer)
3)Sit (on the couch)
4)Swim
5)Sleep

Our 5 S's are very similar in that they all seem to trigger a calming reflex but obviously very different in many ways. I am hoping that if I provide our new little cherub it's 5 S's that I will be able to get one or two of my 5 S's therefore releasing my calm. Although I am starting to think that you can scratch all of my old 5 S's and replace it with one H that will relax and calm my nerves. That H will stand for HAPPY as in Happy Baby. I think I will be most relaxed when our little baby is HAPPY. So therefore my old 5 S's will soon be retired:)

My biggest hope and fear is being able to provide for this new little being and keep it HAPPY. I have never been good with babies so this is what keeps me up at night.. Hopefully it will come natural. Oh well only time will tell. In a couple weeks the starting gun will fire (even though it already has for Kelley) and we will be off on the longest and most important endurance event of our life. So we will see.

4 comments:

Michelle Simmons said...

Cute post! ;) I think my 5 S's would look something like yours (minus the surfing)... at some point we'll get 'em all back!

I'm gonna have to get that video... it's on my list of things to do but I've been so busy hanging out at home, watching the olympics, surfing the internet, cooking, and doing laundry that I just haven't had time. HA!

Anonymous said...

:) cute!

Sis Hatty said...

Don't stress too much Ry. You will be fine with the baby. Just be your goofy self and he/she will adore you. Babies love goofy and the more goofy you are the Happy they are. :)

Fennells said...

haha, I felt the same way about babies before Kai was born. But once you see your's for the first time, its a WHOLE different story, in a good way! (which is good to know as you look forward to 3am awakenings!)