Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Study, Sleep, Study

Nothing too exciting here. My day pretty much consists of getting up and walking Tyla on the beach, significantly slower than usual, eating breakfast, checking email, and then studying for my exam (with a nap here and there). I seem to be resorting back to my grad school habits where I'd study for an hour or two and then catch myself napping for a half an hour and then repeating the cycle. It seems that the studying for an hour or two doesn't exactly happen now though. I don't know what it is but I can't concentrate for more than 20 or 30 minutes at a time and then I have to get up and do something. I think this is a form of torture. A week from tomorrow I'll be either happy and really stoked to be done or not so happy but still really stoked to be done. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. The way the studying is going right now doesn't make it look too promising though :-)

Oh ya, in between the studying and sleeping, I'm being quite entertained by "Flipper" (that's the baby's new nickname because it feels like it's doing some incredible gymnastics flips in my tummy). Today, "Flipper" decided to do some karate chops in my rib and at the same time he/she was doing a right hook down by my hip. I have to say it's very fun to watch!

4 comments:

Maggs said...

Good luck next week! I'm sure you'll do fine, you have an extra brain to help you!

Michelle Simmons said...

Hey Kelley- I saw this recipe for granola and thought of you! Maybe it'll help activate those brain cells? Let me know if it works... :)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Spray large cookie sheet, stone, or baking bar pan.


INGREDIENTS:
6 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 cups sliced almonds (slivered or sliced) or chopped walnuts
1 cup unsalted raw sunflower seeds
¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
¾ cup honey
¼ cup real maple syrup
brown sugar for topping
1 cup golden raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup dried cranberries (or craisins)
1 cup raisins (optional – you already have the golden raisins)


TO ASSEMBLE:
Toss the oats, almonds, and seeds together in a large bowl. Set aside. Whisk together the oil, honey, and maple syrup in a medium bowl. Pour the liquids over the oat mixture and stir with a wooden spoon until all the oats and nuts are coated. Pour onto baking pan. Sprinkle with a small amount of brown sugar. Bake, stirring occasionally with a spatula, until the mixture turns a nice, even golden brown, about 40 – 45 minutes. Let cool about 5 minutes. While the oats are cooking, mix the raisins, dates, and cranberries together in a large bowl. When the granola is a little cool, add it to the raisin/date mixture. Mix all ingredients together well. Store in an airtight container.

Michelle Simmons said...

One more thing- check out themarathonmama.blogspot.com. Seriously one of the best blogs I've ever seen! :)

Michelle Simmons said...

Ok, really, last thing... (I'm trying to give you useful things to do to distract from your studying! ;)...
www.runumother.com