Saturday, June 7, 2008

Klutsy Kelley

Today started off to be a good day. I went for a really nice swim out to Flat Island with one of my friends, Megan, where we saw a few fish here and there and enjoyed a beautiful sunny morning. After we finished I was feeling quite ambitious and decided to go for a walk/run. I haven't been running for a while because I was having some tightening in my lower abs, so I figured it would be my usual walk. But today I was feeling really good and decided to give jogging a go. Sure enough, I was feeling great, no pain or pulling. I had my Ipod jammin' and I was shuffling right along (that's what my "running" consists of now). I was just thinking about how good it felt to break a sweat and have no pain, when all the sudden my foot hit an uneven surface (which normally wouldn't be a big deal...but being pregnant changes the ol' center of gravity) and my ankle, thanks to the hormone relaxin, decided to keep on going. Needless to say, I heard a loud pop followed by an excrutiating pain. I saved myself from falling down but shortly there after sat on the ground to reevaluate what I should do next. I was about a mile from my car and no one around asked if I was okay or needed help...what nice bystanders! There's nothing more normal than seeing a pregnant person sitting in the bike lane holding their foot. Okay, enough about the sympathetic public. I had to compose myself for the baby and managed to hobble back to my car and drive home (thank goodness it was my left foot). So here I am sitting on the couch with my foot elevated and a bag of ice. No Advil for me because of the baby, so I guess I get to tough this one out. Maybe it's practice for pain management when it's time for the real thing...delivery!

No comments: